Tuesday, March 22, 2011

01000101011101001

It seems to me that the digital world is over hyped. I would go so far as to say that history will look back on digital processing as the foible of the twentieth and twenty-first centuries. Nothing is binary - exclusively on or off - except in our imagination. I have been told that electrons, the building blocks of life, are neither here nor there until you look at them. Even in computers there is a transition stage for each switch where the current drops off or picks up, which must be accounted for. When we are finally able to progress to organic or natural processing, digital will be seen as horribly inefficient. Think of all the information that is lost when converting a continuous-time, indefinitely precise information stream into a finite sequence of zeros and ones. Preposterous.

P.S. Since I wrote this I came across this article. Who knows all that the future will bring?

No comments:

Post a Comment