Thursday, May 5, 2011

Theology

As I consider the history of the church, I am always especially interested in the errors our forefathers fell into. Even Calvin, Luther, and Augustine - I owe my worldview to them, yet I freely disagree with them, on points great or small. I expect that no one is in perfect accord with any of their founders, and I feel that that's okay. I'm not bothered by the mistakes of our predecessors—I want to know will be our mistakes, according to our successors, and according to God. What will have been the heresy of my era? And more importantly, how am I part of the problem, and how can I be part of the solution?

On reflection, I think on of the great errors of my day is the division of the church into so many 'denominations'. People who call on the same God cannot worship together because of their traditions - churches with identical creeds split on the smallest issues. No time or place in history has experienced such splits as the church in America today. And all this in the face of a clear command from God: 'Let there be no divisions among you! Has Christ been divided?' Yet you and I try to justify ourselves, saying this and that, claiming expediency in the growth of the church. Maybe this is true. Yet I would believe otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment