Friday, May 27, 2011

Why Sarregouset?

The Sarregousets or Arragousets were a part of Guernsey folklore mentioned in Victor Hugo's The Toilers of the Sea. The word is probably a corruption of Les Aragousais, 'the men of Aragon', who invaded Guernsey in the fourteenth century, according to The Fabled Coast, by Sophia Kingshill. They were a mysterious, elfin folk who were held responsible for many weird and suspicious events by the reclusive and superstitious populace, and were given strange powers and called by strange names. It is apparent in the novel that they existed only in the imagination of the natives. But as such they are a type or picture of the theme of this work, and most others by Victor Hugo: The misunderstood and anathematized, the untouchables and unreachables, the pathetic and empathetic, the helpless and hopeless, the neglected and broken. I can't say I want to be like the Sarregousets.

Actually, I just happened to be reading this book when I was in need of a unique username.

At night, when it thunders, if you should happen to see men flying in the lurid light of the clouds, or on the rolling waves of the air, these are no other than the Sarregousets.

You can read a contemporary version of the fable here: http://abookofcreatures.com/2015/04/01/arragouset/, and an encyclopedia entry here: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arragouset.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you. I've read Toilers a few times and always wondered what the meaning of Sarregouset was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I just came across your blog while searching for sarregouset references online. They're scarce! I thought you might like to know that my knowledge of them comes from Elizabeth Goudge's book "Island Magic", set in the Channel Islands. I think they also get a mention in her book "Green Dolphin Country" but I can't lay my hand on the reference immediately. They're great books anyhow. Miss Goudge was very interested in folklore and did her research well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the note! I added her to my reading list....

      Delete
    2. Well I just found them mentioned in the Elizabeth Goudge short story, Make Believe, in the Golden Skylark.

      Delete