Sunday, October 21, 2012

A Man after God's Own Heart

What does it mean to be a man after God's own heart? It our current sermon/Bible study series, people seem to assume that it means an upstanding moral character, with perhaps with a t-shirt reading 'Jesus saves'.
I suppose they're justified:

1 Samuel 13:14 - "kept the Lord's commands"
Acts 13:22 - "did all My will"
Psalm 16:2 - "apart from the Lord I have no good thing"
Psalm 38:9,15 - "Lord, all my desire is in You"
1 Kings 3:6 - "walked before You in truth and righteousness and uprightness of heart"
1 Kings 3:14 - "kept My statutes and commandments"
1 Kings 9:4 - "walked before Me in integrity of heart and uprightness, doing according to all that I commanded him"
1 Kings 11:4 - "his heart was wholly devoted to the Lord his God"

But I think a bare moralistic interpretation denigrates God's grace and condescension:

Psalm 32 - "I confessed my sin and you forgave me"
Psalm 51 - "I know my transgressions—create in me a clean heart"

No comments:

Post a Comment